Caraval Review

   Caraval was one of the most anticipated books of 2017, I believe. I've seen it everywhere, from ads on Amazon to huge displays at the local bookstore. I couldn't wait to get my hands on a copy. Unfortunately, when I did, I devoured it much too quickly and then it was over! I wish I had pre-ordered the special edition, something I almost never do; it was that good of a book. Caraval is a show, one where the audience is a member of the cast. In order to win the prize, you must play the game...
   The book centers on two sisters, Scarlett and Tella, who live on a remote island with their abusive father. Scarlett is recently engaged to a count; she thinks she can save herself and her sister through her marriage. Tella takes a somewhat dim view of this, understandably, as Scarlett has never met her intended. Fearing the count will be as bad as their father, Tella kidnaps Scarlett, with the help of an enigmatic sailor, and takes her to Caraval. The island of Caraval pretty much shimmers with magic, the kind of magic you used to dream about when you were a child. Like all good magical stories, there's a dark undercurrent to this one. When they arrive, Tella is taken by Legend, the mysterious man that runs Caraval; no one has ever seen him. This year's prize is a wish, but to win the wish the players have to find Tella. Scarlett must play the game or risk losing her sister forever.
   Players of Caraval are warned not to get carried away in the game; that way leads to madness. Even so, Scarlett is hard-pressed to tell the difference between fantasy and reality. She has help along the way, from her sailor, and from others. Does she save her sister? You'll have to read the book to find out. I know some people had issues with the way the book ended; I thought it was amazing. I think they forgot what they were told twice: it's only a game.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Megacon Orlando 2017 pictures

Angel of Death by Adrian Ferrer Review

What are you guys reading or doing this weekend?