A few fantasy must-read recommendations!


Ok, so I have a few books I'd like to recommend!  I've mentioned that I mostly read fantasy so if you don't care for it, this post probably won't be your cup of tea.  I've recently started reading the Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost.  They're cheap if you buy them on Amazon and it's a pretty good series.  It features a half human, half vampire girl who hunts vampires.  I know, I know, it's been done before.  But it was entertaining, well written and made me laugh out loud a few times.  Thankfully I wasn't in public!  If you're interested the first book is 'Halfway to the Grave'.
    Another book I'd like to recommend is The Making of Gabriel Davenport, and it's written by Beverly Lee.  I haven't read it yet but it sounds very good and it's gotten rave reviews.   It's supposed to be a mix of dark fantasy and horror, although the author does specify it's old school horror; no blood and guts involved.  Personally gore is a turn off for me; the only time I want to read about blood and guts is if it's a werewolf novel.  It's $2.99 on Amazon so give it a look!
   Another book series I'd recommend is the Jane Yellowrock series by Faith Hunter.  It's a bit different in that it features a Cherokee skinwalker who hunts rogue vampires.  (I know another vampire hunter series).  But vampires aren't the only thing Jane hunts, and it's set mainly in New Orleans.  It's a good series and has a little more depth and character development to it than the Night Huntress series I recommended above.  Just a caution, if you do decide to read the series make sure you read the short stories in between the novels.  There is a list online that gives you the reading order, which I've helpfully included here.  If you don't it becomes somewhat confusing as the events in the short stories have a major impact on what happens in the novels.  And you will be somewhat lost!
   Lastly but not least is the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks.  It's an epic fantasy set in an empire called the Seven Satrapies, with a unique color-based magic system.  This isn't your typical "hero saves the day" fantasy as the main character is an overweight and clumsy but very likeable teenager who gets in way over his head trying to save an empire.  I highly recommend this series, it's awesome!
   On an unrelated note I picked the Swan Thieves for my non-fantasy book read of the month.  I tried reading it and fell asleep so I'll give it another go when I have a pot of coffee at hand.  I believe I might need it.   So what are you guys reading this weekend?  If anyone has a book to recommend feel free to make a comment!  I'm always looking for new things to read, no matter what genre they might be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Megacon Orlando 2017 pictures

Angel of Death by Adrian Ferrer Review

What are you guys reading or doing this weekend?