The Lazarus Gate review

   The Lazarus Gate sounds like a must read for fans of science fiction.  It's set in Victorian London and follows the adventures of Captain John Hardwick.  It takes elements from Sherlock Holmes, the multiple universe theory, and throws in a little Lovecraft for good measure.  It's an odd combination that works well, at least at first.  It starts out interesting and then drags a lot during the middle, with the result that the climax feels very rushed.  I had the thought that the author couldn't possibly wrap it up when I was almost done with the book; there were only a few pages to go and a lot left unfinished.  I assumed I'd have to read the sequel.  But I don't, as he did finish the story with a somewhat unsatisfactory ending.  The captain was likeable enough, but some of the choices he made during the ending were a little off putting. 
   The author set it up so that a sequel will definitely be written.  However I have two problems with that.  Number one, he made it clear that the enemy Captain Hardwick fought in this book will be the same in the sequel.  I hate recycled enemies, especially when they're defeated and then brought back in the last two pages of the book.  Come up with an original storyline for the sequel or just don't have one.  This probably wouldn't bother a lot of people but it's a pet peeve of mine.
   Number two, I read the synopsis for the sequel and it turned out to be a prequel, with Captain Hardwick's sister as the main character.  So I'm assuming that the third book (still unwritten) will be the actual sequel.  And if you read Lazarus Gate you will already know his sister's story and how it ends.  Let's just say it's not a happy story, nor is she a likeable character.  I'm guessing he writes her as more sympathetic in the next book but honestly I just don't care.  I really had to struggle to finish Lazarus Gate so I won't be buying any more of his books.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Megacon Orlando 2017 pictures

Angel of Death by Adrian Ferrer Review

What are you guys reading or doing this weekend?