Book recommendations to get you through the week

   I thought I'd recommend a few more of my favorite books. I'm always looking for new stuff to read (which I think I've probably mentioned too many times!). If you have this same problem, maybe you'll find something here! Let me know what you think in the comments, and please feel free to share your favorite books!
   The first series I want to mention is Johannes Cabal, written by Jonathan L. Howard. The first book is Johannes Cabal the Necromancer. It's darkly funny and somewhat disturbing, at least to some people. I lent it to my Mom to read; when she gave it back a week or so later, she told me she didn't see the humor and to please never lend her such a book again. However, if you like Neil Gaiman, their humor is a lot alike. Howard is also a much better writer than Gaiman, in my opinion. To me, Gaiman tends to beat you over the head with his humor in some of his books, to the point where I couldn't even finish them. Howard doesn't do that; his humor is more subtle. The Necromancer is one of those books that's not perfect (the characters could use a little more development) but seems to stick with you long after you've read it. I don't know why, as it's not a profound book or particularly complex. I just enjoyed reading it so much it's earned the rare status of being one of those books I'll always have on my bookshelf.
   Another author you might want to keep on an eye on is John Connolly, who is probably best known for his Charlie Parker novels. While those are good, he's written a few other books that are even better. The Book of Lost Things looks like a YA book at first glance, but it's most definitely not. It centers on a young boy, David, who's lost his mother. His father gets remarried and has a child with his new wife, which leaves David deeply unhappy. One night he hears his mother calling to him and finds himself in another world, one where he has the chance to save her. This is another of those books that tend to stick with you. It's not always a cheerful read; in fact, it has a rather dark tone most of the time. It's still an excellent book; I highly recommend it.
   Another good book by Connolly is The Gates. It's a lot more lighthearted than The Book of Lost Things. The book follows a young boy, Samuel, and his dog Boswell as they try to save the world from an invasion from Hell. It's a cute and fast read, which you might need after finishing The Book of Lost Things. I also read the sequel, which was good but somehow lacking the magic of the first book, just so that you know.
   Mary Stewart is another great author. I read her book A Walk in Wolf Wood when I was very young. I thought it was the most fantastic book; it was the first book I'd read that was a little scary, and it just stuck with me throughout the years. (It also probably explains my love of werewolf stories.) I still have a copy that I guard with my life! After reading it, I'd always keep my eyes peeled when my family went on vacation, just in case there was an adventure to be had! I've read quite a few of her books throughout the years; Airs Above the Ground and Touch Not the Cat are two of my favorites.
   Also if you like Arthurian sagas Mary Stewart's is one of the best I've ever read. The first book is The Crystal Cave. I had read The Once and Future King by T.H. White before I started this series; to me, Stewart's is much better. I knew that Once and Future King was the basis for the Disney movie The Sword and the Stone; I hated that film when I was growing up. Hate might not be a strong enough word; I loathed it. (Which is weird because I love the story of King Arthur.) I figured the book had to be better, right? No. The book is better than the movie, but I still couldn't finish it. Do yourself a favor and just read Stewart's series. It's more genuine, better written, and a much more enjoyable read.
   The Prince of Thorns, written by Mark Lawrence, is the first book of a trilogy. The main character, Jorg, is an anti-hero; very, very much an anti-hero. He does terrible things, he murders and tortures people; at the same time, you'll find yourself rooting for him for some reason. It's a bloody, complicated book and I won't lie, I didn't like Jorg at all at first. But once you've read more of the book you'll understand better why Jorg does these things. I don't want to spoil it, so just read it for yourself!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Angel of Death by Adrian Ferrer Review

Megacon Orlando 2017 pictures

What are you guys reading or doing this weekend?