Non-fiction Friday

  I've got a few more recommendations this week. I was going to review The Monster of Florence, but sadly I never got around to reading it before my library loan expired. So now I have to wait in line again!
   The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival is about the hunt for a man-eating tiger in Siberia. It sounds interesting, and I've added it to my TBR list, even though I'm sure the cat dies in the end. (I love big cats and hate to see them killed.)
   The Devil and Sherlock Holmes: Tales of Madness, Murder, and Obsession is written by the same author that wrote the Lost City of Z. This book is a diverse collection of strange but true stories investigated by the author.
   Arabian Sands is about one man's desire to explore the deserts of Arabia and meet the people that live there. Sounds dangerous but exciting! In my opinion, Middle Eastern culture is not well understood by the average American, so this should be a fascinating insight into that culture.
   If A Pirate I Must Be (yes I'm boring you with pirate books, I know I said last week I wouldn't. This is the only one, I promise) is about the short but successful pirate career of Bartholomew Roberts. If you don't know much about real life pirates, this book has a lot of information in it. Roberts is considered one of the most successful pirates in the Golden Age of Piracy; in fact, his death, according to many scholars, marks the end of that Age. If you only read one book about pirates make it this one. It's interesting enough for the casual reader while still being a good source of information.
   Secret Treasure of Oak Island: The Amazing True Story of a Centuries-Old Treasure Hunt is pretty self-explanatory, I think. Phew. Some of these authors need to come up with smaller names for their books! Seriously, it's enough now. Oak Island is off the coast of Canada; theories on the origins of the treasure range from Captain Kidd to the Knights Templar. There's a T.V. show on Amazon about the modern treasure hunt going on right now on Oak Island. But this book goes into the history of and evidence for the treasure a lot more than the show does. It's a fascinating mystery; there's definitely something buried on the island but who did it and why? And is it still there? Maybe one day we'll find out!
    Have you guys read any awesome non-fiction books lately? Feel free to share in the comments! Happy St. Paddy's Day to everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Angel of Death by Adrian Ferrer Review

Megacon Orlando 2017 pictures

What are you guys reading or doing this weekend?