Non-Fiction Friday

   If you read last week's Non-Fiction Friday post, I recommended the book Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident.  I finished reading it myself this week; it wasn't terribly long.  The author did a lot of research and debunks many of the myths surrounding the case.  The book also gives you a good idea of what the hikers were like in real life without fictionalizing them.  It lent a sorrowful air to the book to know that these nine young and vibrant people are about to have their lives cut short.  The explanation he proposes for what happened to the hikers is plausible, well thought out and well-researched.  Is it what really happened?  Eh it's possible, but we'll probably never know for certain.  (Unless one wants to build a time machine.  Somebody get on that.)  If you enjoy a real life mystery give it a try, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
   Now for some new book recommendations!  Devil in the White City is a very good book about a serial killer that operated during the World's Fair in Chicago in the 1930's.  I actually found the information about the fair more interesting than the serial killer aspect.  Definitely, something I wish I could have seen myself.  (The fair, not the serial killer, just to be clear.  Please don't go call the police.)
   In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex- Title pretty much sums it up; the Essex was the inspiration for Moby Dick, in case you didn't know that.
   The Monster of Florence- Written by Douglas Preston, who used to be one of my favorite authors. (He's still a good author, I just lost track of his books for some reason.)  Preston happened to buy a house in Italy that was the location of one of the killings of a serial killer known as (you guessed it) the Monster of Florence.  Preston unwisely decided to do a little investigating of his own and got caught up in the investigation, in a very bad way.  Sounds like a good read.
  Pirate Hunters: Treasure, Obsession, and the Search for a Legendary Pirate Ship- Again, the title pretty much sums it up.  Sounds like a fascinating read; I love pirates and everything pirate related so I've moved this one to the top of my TBR list.
  Hunting the American Werewolf-If you're in the mood for something a little less serious, this is the book for you.  Godfrey has done her homework and interviewed hundreds of people who've had strange encounters with werewolf-like creatures.  Perhaps they had too much moonshine or too many hard drugs, maybe at the same time!  Nevertheless, their stories are entertaining and sometimes harrowing.  Just don't read it before you go to bed; I don't believe in werewolfish creatures but let's just say I slept with the lights on for awhile after finishing it.
   So what awesome non-fiction have you read lately?  Also if you notice there's a Goodreads link at the top left of my page now, feel free to add me as a friend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Angel of Death by Adrian Ferrer Review

Megacon Orlando 2017 pictures

What are you guys reading or doing this weekend?