The Making of Gabriel Davenport review

   The Making of Gabriel Davenport starts off strong; I'll give it that. It hooked me from the beginning and had all the right elements, including a genuinely creepy atmosphere and excellent writing. The first sentence is "She dreamed in grey, the colour of misery." I mean, how could a book that starts off like that be bad? I couldn't wait to read what came next. It didn't pack quite as much punch in the middle of the book, in what should have been the best part. There was an element that was entirely unexpected, and I had some trouble coming to terms with it. I could tell from reading the synopsis that Gabriel would be changed drastically in some way, I just didn't know he'd be changed in that fashion. I know that's really vague, but I don't want to spoil the book. Once I got used to the unexpected element, I enjoyed the story.
    It is an excellent book, especially for a debut novel. However, I do think that the author does herself a disservice by billing it as a horror story. Besides the beginning, it's not creepy, scary, or even blood drenched. (There's some blood, but not much). I'm interested to know where the sequel will go from here; the book was original and unpredictable enough that I've already pre-ordered it. I plan to re-read The Making of Gabriel Davenport before the sequel comes out; I believe it will be better on a second read through.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Angel of Death by Adrian Ferrer Review

Megacon Orlando 2017 pictures

What are you guys reading or doing this weekend?